Syndicate this blog using RSS Charles’ Blog

O-1 Visa Sponsor – Agent or Employer?

One of the best parts (and I mean that facetiously) of doing an artist visa is having to find a sponsor. Hopefully this can be a clarification of what a sponsor is, and what his or her responsibilities would be. A sponsor is someone who intends to work with the visa applicant in a professional capacity, and seeks to get that person a valid legal status in order to make that happen. The sponsor may be an individual or an organization, but should somehow be involved in the applicant’s field. There are two general types of sponsors: (1) an employer... Read More

Trouble in Oslo for O-1 Visa Applicants

Maybe I've been lucky.  I've been helping people from abroad get artist visas now for 11 years.  In all of that time, I can only recall two prior instances in which a U.S. embassy or consulate in a foreign country gave an applicant trouble in issuing a visa.  Both of those instances involved applicants who admitted to working outside of the context of their approved visas.  One of these two was ultimately refused (which was in Santo Domingo), the other was ultimately approved (Berlin). I have now had two clients in the span of a single month who were given... Read More

Guidelines to Writing a Letter of Recommendation

Whenever you do an artist visa, one of the types of evidence we seek is the letter of recommendation. I like to say that they’re not the “meat” of the application, but they certainly are the “potatoes”. There is a particular format that I recommend: 1. Basis of Expertise: First and foremost, the letter must establish the writer’s expertise or authority. The writer must be someone who is an expert in your field. If you are a musician, your reference may be a fellow musician, a music critic, a record producer, a band manager, an agent, or someone else who... Read More

Guide to Consular Processing of Nonimmigrant Visas

So you were approved for a work visa. But that’s not necessarily the end of the story. If you are outside the U.S., or plan on traveling outside the U.S., you will have to apply for the visa stamp at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Because every U.S. embassy or consulate abroad has its own policies and procedures, it’s impossible to keep track of all of their individual requirements. For your convenience, I’ve outlined below some general guidelines and steps for obtaining a visa stamp abroad. Keep in mind that it is still advisable that you consult with me... Read More